The project is the most significant intervention of the “2014-2020 National Broadband Access Plan” which aims at increasing the availability of next-generation broadband services throughout the country.
The project includes the development of an extensive ultra-high-speed network in a great proximity to the end user in order to provide Internet connections of at least 100 Mbps bandwidth and of at least 100 Mbps – upgradable to 1 Gigabit.
The action is going to provide broadband high capacity connectivity services approximately to 2.400.000 citizens.
The project contributes to:
- bridging the digital divide of the Greek regions developing new generation broadband infrastructures based on broadband objectives set by the European Commission for 2025 in the context of the policy on “Connectivity for a European Gigabit Society”.
- the creation of a favorable environment for private investments that will focus their activities on the expansion and penetration of next-generation infrastructure to achieve “step change” in terms of broadband availability in regions and markets where absence or reduced interest in developing appropriate infrastructures and services is obvious.
At least 98% of the active population will be provided with two categories of broadband services in the regions where UFBB infrastructures are deployed, as follows:
- Class A: Connection with a bandwidth of at least 100 Mbps – Upgradable to 1 Gigabit
- Class B: Connection with a bandwidth of at least 100 Mbps
Recipients of the Action:
- Citizens (individuals/residential users and business users) deprived of access to high capacity internet connections.
- Socio-economic actors and locations within intervention areas where high-speed internet services of 1 Gbps is required.
Areas of Coverage:
The total number of target active lines amounts to round 812.155, which includes areas not covered by the private investment plans of telecommunication providers.
During the implementation period of the project, technological neutrality as well as avoidance of any distortion of competition in the market or suspension of planned private investments will be taken into account, while at the same time the sustainability of investments is secured.
The scope of the Ultrafast Broadband project excludes regions covered by Superfast Broadband project (SFBB) as well as regions covered by the Rural Broadband network.
Investment Implementation Scheme:
The project will be implemented in the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) scheme.
Development and Concession Period:
The overall duration of the project is estimated up to 20 years. The first 3 years correspond to the development of the network infrastructure, while the remaining 17 years will be required for the operation and the provision of services.
The project is co-funded by the European Union’s Structural and Investment Funds and the National Partnership Agreement “ESPA” 2014-2020.
Total Budget of the Action:
The total project’s budget amounts to € 870.000.000 (VAT including).
The co-financed public expenditure is € 300,000,000
- € 265 million is allocated by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and the Operational Program “Competitiveness, Entrepreneurship, Innovation 2014-2020” and
- € 35 million comes from the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) and the Rural Development Program (RDP) 2014-2020
The project is implemented by the Executive Agency for ESIF on ICT sector in the Ministry of Digital Policy, Telecommunications and Media.
Proposal and Operation Institution:
Owner of the Ultrafast Broadband project is the General Secretariat for Telecommunications and Post (GSTP) of the Ministry of Digital Policy, Telecommunications and Media.